Sunday, January 31, 2010

Garden Site


I finally got out to take pictures of my future garden spot. This is behind our house, and unfortunately there are some trees near by, but it gets a good amount of sun each day. It is also about as close as to house, and the only water source, as we can without putting it in the middle of the yard. Even then we have more interfering trees.

You can see where my past attempt at a garden sits. Those are some landscape timbers that I will have to move this spring. As well as some other junk. My raised bed started to fall apart after one year. Obviously I didn't have it supported it enough, evidence of my lack of carpentry skills.

Here is the heart of my future garden, the bales! You can only see eight of the bales, but in the pen is another four. Each bale can take two tomato, egg plant, or pepper plants. Cucumber, zucchini, or summer squash plants can be planted four to a bale. Two plants can be planted back to back one trailing over the left side, the other over the right. I am going to try to get two bigger squash plants: watermelon and pumpkin. As it is now, I may need to get a few more bales in the spring.

I sat down the other day to plan what I wanted to plant. It ended up being quite a list and I found a few things I don't think will work well in the bales. Tomatoes and other climbing plants can be stakes some what, but will end up going over the edge of the bale. I want sugar snap peas that I will have to make a tresses of some type for, but I am going to try them in the bale. I am thinking about how I want to do that. Some things like rhubarb, that is a perennial, can not be put into bales. Other things that will get too large would fall over.

My list for the bales so far:
Three kinds of tomatoes: 3-6 plants
Green Peppers: 2 plants
Other Peppers: 2 plants
Slicing Cucumbers: 2 plants
Pickling Cucumbers: 2 plants
Zucchini: 2 plants
Yellow Squash: 2 plants
Eggplant: 2 plants
Small Watermelons: 2 plants
Baking Pumpkins: 2 plants
Sugar Snap Peas: 14 plants ( I am hoping that fits in two bales)

I am thinking to planting the sides of the bale with herbs. I have not decided what I will plant there. Maybe some flowers too that go well with veggie gardens, like marigolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment